To support the Accountancy Officer, Principal Accountant / Auditor and senior finance managers in providing a full and quality financial management service to Budget Holders, Service Managers, Assistant Directors, Heads of Service, Worcestershire Pension fund (WPF) and all Council officers. This will include:-
- To drive, develop, and provide effective and proactive financial challenge to the operational services within their remit .
- Providing financial support, professional advice for the operation of financial management and WPF.
- To provide financial support to projects, commissioning and contracting processes and reviews, providing financial information advice, research and appraisals as required and to ensure that resources available are used effectively.
- To extract and analyse data, risk assessing for completeness and accuracy and identify trends and any outlying information.
- To provide explanations and working papers for budget holder audit scrutiny.
- To support the administration of the Banking and on-line payment system.
- Assistance with the administration of the County Council’s Purchase Cards
- To support the effective administration of 'debt write offs'.
- Maintaining the chart of accounts structure, including relationships between cost centres, nominals, subnominals and project codes.
- Produce system and bespoke reports for users in line with specifications provided.
- Prepare and maintain end user training procedures and material and provide end-user training and support, where required.
- To support the preparation of the annual Revenue and Capital budgets relating to the Pension Fund.
- To support the delivery of audits and financial investigations.
- To maintain the findings log from completed audits, following up activity with operational staff as appropriate.
- To support the administration of the budget virement process.
- To analyse and update inflation, cost and activity trends.
- To prepare and analyse capital funding resources.
- To set up and amend capital project codes in the financial system.
- To support the Council's borrowing and investments activity, ensuring all financial transactions are carried out in accordance with the Council's Investment Strategy and CIPFA Code of Practice.
- To follow agreed processes for the recovery, write off or cancellation of debt including customer contact, litigation and providing accurate information for management and legal decisions
- To be responsible for making initial applications for the appointment of the Director of People Services to act as Deputy, together with correspondence and enquires as necessary for the completion of the application forms.
- To reconcile income and expenditure activity within the DP accounts.
- To progress queries to resolution queries by investigating appropriate systems and liaising with relevant persons/teams/agencies.
- To undertake routine general ledger maintenance and analysis work in accordance with requirements.
- To monitor, investigate and resolve goods received/invoice received (GR/IR) imbalances, providing assistance to officers on related financial procedures as necessary.
- To progress to resolution queries from suppliers on behalf of all directorates.
- Considerable experience of working in a Finance environment.
- Demonstrable experience in designing, maintaining and using ICT systems in a financial working environment.
- Considerable experience of using Word and Excel.
- Demonstrable knowledge of sound financial practice, procedures and systems including budget monitoring.
- The ability to carry out tasks accurately to specified deadlines, producing information in a clear format, suitable for its audience.
- Ability to work on own initiative, make decisions to manage own workload, achieve deadlines and meet customer requirements.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of I.T. skills. (E.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, financial systems, etc).
- A good standard of education including an A level or equivalent in Mathematics or a Business-related subject or equivalent relevant HND/HNC/NVQ4 level qualification.
- Membership of the Association of Accounting Technicians (or studying towards the qualification) Desirable.
Currently this will be homeworking. Going forward, once restrictions are lifted, we may look at some limited time in the office.