Job Purpose and Context:
- Deputise for the Chef Manager, managing every aspect of catering within the location ensuring that the service provided to customers supports happy living, is of a high quality and meets their dietary needs.
- To support the Chef Manager to deliver a catering service within agreed budgets and resources are used appropriately.
- To lead the catering team delivering food safety standards and health and safety requirements.
- Deputise in the absence of the Chef Manager.
- Deliver a catering service.
- Minimise wastage when preparing meals and using equipment correctly.
- Compliance with food safety and health and safety procedures.
- General supervision of catering assistants on shift.
- Identify and report any signs of abuse.
- Escalate concerns / issues as appropriate.
- Prepare, cook and serve appetising and nutritional meals, snacks and drinks to customers in line with implemented seasonal menus.
- Operate services within catering budget.
- Manage kitchen stock and purchase food in line with purchasing procedure.
- Complete kitchen audits and checks in line with food safety and health and safety regulations.
- Keep the kitchen equipment and utensils clean and hygienic and report concerns to line manager.
- Responsible for effectively supervising catering assistants whilst on shift, managing any performance concerns as and when they arise.
Outcomes of Duties:
- Customers’ dietary needs are met.
- Customers receive meals at appropriate times of day.
- Weekly cost monitoring sheet completed.
- Purchasing procedures followed.
- No out of date stock.
- Food wastage monitoring tool completed.
- Satisfactory food safety and health and safety audits.
- No enforcement letter from Environmental Health Officer.
- No infection control issues.
- Low colleague turnover.
- Scorecard results.
- Proven chef management experience with a recognised catering qualification
- Basic knowledge of dietary requirements relating to older people.
- Food safety standards.
- Health and safety legislation including control of substances harmful to health (COSHH)
- Safe use of knives and kitchen equipment.
- People management.
Qualifications and Mandatory Training:
- Intermediate / Level 3 food hygiene certificate.
- Cater craft or similar catering qualification.
- Ability to organise time and prioritise activities.
- Negotiation and influencing skills.
- Ability to work in a pressured environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team and individually.
- Ability to produce meals based on menu’s implemented.
- Customer Focus (Understands customers’ needs, wants and behaviours to anticipate, meet and wherever possible exceed their expectations.)
- Developing & Supporting People (Works alongside colleagues and encourages own and team’s development in the delivery of great customer service.)
- Decision Making (Takes ownership for decisions made and the potential consequences of those decisions.)
- This role is Ad-Hoc. Meaning that there will be various shifts that you may be required to undertake with short notice periods at times.
- This role is based in a variety of locations, some of which include London, Surrey, Leeds, Suffolk. Upon application, please state the location you would prefer to be based in.
- Bank holidays and weekend shifts rates tend to differ from the regular rate.