- Manage one or more agile projects, typically to deliver a specific product or transformation via a multi-disciplinary, highly skilled digital team.
- Deliver projects and products using the appropriate agile project management methodology, learning _ iterating frequently.
- Defining project needs and feeding these into the programme/portfolio process.
- Work with the Product Manager to define the roadmap for any given product and translate this into user stories.
- Lead the collaborative, dynamic planning process - prioritising the work that needs to be done against the capacity and capability of the team.
- Matrix-managing a multidisciplinary team.
- Ensure all products are built to an appropriate level of quality for the stage (alpha/beta/production).
- Actively participating in the Delivery Manager community, sharing and re-applying skills and knowledge and bringing in best practice.
Skills and Experience
Expert level knowledge of:
- Agile practices, tools, techniques and culture - specifically Scrum and Kanban practices
- Delivery metric tracking and effective methods to prioritise and forecast delivery
- Task management, workflow or collaboration tools. e.g. Trello, Jira, Confluence, Slack and Miro
- Coaching methods to build and sustain high performing team
Practitioner level knowledge of:
- User-centred design and development and iterative agile software development techniques related to the full product lifecycle
- Product prioritisation, delivery planning and facilitation techniques across a scaled delivery portfolio
- GDS service standards, technology code of practice and government service manual
- Effective risk and issues management
- Scaling agile teams effectively
- Excellent appreciation of the value and need to follow accessibility standards (W3C)
- A thorough understanding of the importance and use of research and insight in informing work, and of developing and using research and insight to help separate 'wants' from 'needs' to inform service/product development work and wider business decisions
- Excellent knowledge of service management and DevOps processes to continue delivering and maintaining complex products and services in a large product portfolio.
Expert level experience of:
- Applying effective agile principles (from the agile manifesto) into practice across a complex team and/or scaled portfolio of teams, to successfully manage the delivery of (often simultaneous) digital features or a product or service by multi-disciplinary user-centred development team(s)
- Using clear, open and transparent frameworks with a complex delivery team (such as Kanban, Lean, Scrum, Scrumban, Feature driven development or Spotify agile) and blending them depending on the context.
- Comparing frameworks, including innovative methods (those not previously used in practice), to identify the best methods for delivery. Skilled in recognising when approaches are not successful, encourages a mindset of experimentation within a portfolio and/or complex team and can create or tailor new ways of working.
- Measuring, evaluating, managing and visualizing outcomes in being agile and recognised as an expert with ability to coach team(s) by continuously reflecting and challenging them.
- Using agile tools intelligently for task management, collaboration and reporting across multiple teams and communities
- Facilitating visualisation exercises across multiple teams (such as cause-effect diagrams, brainstorms, metaphorical retrospectives)
- Facilitating collaborative workshops, delivering and facilitating presentations (e.g. show and tells) to groups, often communicating and eliciting complex information with minimal preparation time.
- Creating an open and collaborative environment for multiple delivery teams to work in, be flexible, adaptable and for them to all have a willingness to learn.
- Coaching across agile tools, techniques, principles and frameworks. Ability to influence and persuade others to take a specific course of action to maintain strong team dynamics and delivery momentum.
- Practitioner level experience in using scaling frameworks across a portfolio of delivery teams (such as Scaled scrum, SaFe, LeSs, Nexus, DAD, Spotify agile). Ability to adapt frameworks to fit the operating environment and delivery context.
- Excellent knowledge of methods to lead the development of professional delivery management capability across a portfolio or organisation
- Detailed knowledge of software development, service design, research and design techniques and methodologies.
- Practitioner level understanding of security, privacy and common standards (e.g. APIs, design components, clinical safety)
- Knowledge of Health and Social Care and the NHS