To support the efficient and effective provision of a comprehensive finance function, including all aspects of the annual estimates process, budget maintenance, monitoring, control and reporting and the year-end closing of accounts, in accordance with statutory requirements and the Council's policies and procedures, statutory returns, ad hoc requests and project work.
To be responsible for supporting the prompt, efficient and accurate provision of financial information.
The post holder will be expected to work flexibly across the service as directed by senior staff wand could have different reporting lines for completion of tasks including direction by a strategic member of the service.
The post holder will be expected to adhere consistently to the Council's financial processes for all key areas including budget monitoring, budget build and closure of accounts.
To be responsible for supporting the Principal Accountant with the induction, training and motivation of the Finance Team staff, who have responsibility for covering the team's functions, in accordance with the Council s policies and procedures.
- Actively support the development and training of the junior staff in the team.
- To be responsible for supporting the efficient and complete preparation of detailed revenue and capital expenditure and income budgets in conjunction with operational managers and strategic finance staff, in line with the Council's policies and procedures.
- To be responsible for supporting the continued development, maintenance and review of budget monitoring, control, reconciliation and reporting in conjunction with operational managers and to contribute to the continuous improvement of departmental systems in line with financial best practice as required by the Strategic Finance Manager/Principal Accountant.
- To be responsible for reviewing and improving the development of local commitment monitoring financial and activity systems used by operational managers to ensure consistency, effective reconciliation and financial best practice.
- To be responsible for effective joint working with the council's external partners and other external organizations, to ensure appropriate procedures and processes for setting, monitoring and reviewing the financial arrangements.
- To be responsible for the efficient and timely completion of specific tasks within the annual closing of accounts process, including the preparation and submission of grant claims and the on-going maintenance, reconciliation and review of the accounts for specific areas of responsibility.
- To be responsible for the preparation, analysis and provision of accurate financial and management information to be included in statutory returns and reports, in line with statutory requirements and the Council's policies and procedures.
- To be responsible for contributing to the wide range of service plans and reviews, including reviewing the cost effectiveness of services and supporting the Council's lead finance officer role in line with the Council's policies and procedures, in order to achieve value for money.
- A significant contribution towards improvements in service delivery, systems, processes and/or working methods that enhance service delivery and/or generate savings and supporting early identification of potential problems and devise and implement solutions to them.
- To be responsible for assisting with the review and update of all documentation, policies and procedures and compliance with statutory requirements, in line with professional standards and the Council's policies and procedures.
- To be responsible for assisting Assistant Directors with information for the preparation of Corporate Management Board, Joint Board and Executive reports, in particular their financial implications and responses to Members' enquiries in relation to all aspects of the finance function, as required by the Principal Accountant.
- To be responsible for supporting effective liaison with budget holders in relation to timely and accurate budget monitoring, control, reconciliation and reporting.
- To be responsible for supporting effective liaison with Government departments and statutory agencies, particularly in relation to matters including statutory returns and government grants, to maximize income due to the Council.
- To be responsible for acting on behalf of the Council ensuring the provision of advice and guidance to all levels of staff, which is appropriate, accurate, timely, verbal and written, in relation to all aspects of the team's functions in accordance with the Council's policies and procedures and to promote awareness of good financial practice and control.
- To be responsible for supporting effective liaison with external and internal audit, including the efficient filing and retention of documentation, maintaining appropriate audit trails for subsequent retrieval as and when required.
- To be responsible for the efficient preparation and production of timely and accurate routine and ad-hoc management information, in relation to all aspects of the finance function, as required by the Principal Accountant.
- To be responsible for supporting effective liaison with other teams and to promote joint working arrangements and the sharing of information.
- To be responsible for assisting with the preparation and completion of complaint responses relating to the finance function, as required by the Assistant Director, in accordance with the Council and Departmental complaints' procedures.
- To contribute to the ongoing review of corporate and departmental systems and procedures and implement decisions, as required by the Principal Accountant.
- To be responsible for keeping up to date with accounting and other relevant legislation, regulations, standards, service developments and initiatives and the Council's policies and procedures.
- To undertake other duties commensurate to the grade of the post.
- To use and assist others in the use of information technology systems to carry out duties in the most efficient and effective manner.
- To achieve agreed service outcomes and outputs, and personal appraisal targets, as agreed by the line manager.
- To undertake training and constructively take part in meetings, supervision, seminars and other events designed to improve communication and assist with the effective development of the post and post holder.
Additional to achieve P04
- Providing support for a specialist area without close supervision.
- Experience in leading a task or project at a relevant level to successful completion.