Purpose of the post:
- We are seeking a property solicitor to support major property projects, such as new river footbridges, redevelopment of an industrial estate and road improvement schemes. The role would provide dedicated support to these projects, and manage the use of external lawyers where required. The post would be funded by the projects.
- The projects are long term, so the role has potential to be a continuing one.
- To undertake complex conveyancing and other related tasks, across a range of expertise, which may include local government law, academy conversions, acquisitions, disposals , leases, agreements and compulsory purchase and related orders.These matters often have significant impact for the Council, often working on cross-directorate issues and requiring creative appraisal.
- To act as advocate in any forum; to conduct legal proceedings including debt collection; to appear before tribunals and public inquiries.
- To research legal questions arising from the work of the Council or its components or associated public bodies for whom the Head of Legal & Democratic Services (whether or not in that capacity) also act.
- To participate in the provision of a comprehensive legal advice service, to communicate in writing and verbally to Member Bodies and Officers of the Council, and to deal with relevant external contacts, including the public.This may involve complex and contentious issues, and to attend meetings where required.
- Substantial experience in dealing with complex and contentious property law and conveyancing matters, including commercial conveyancing, compulsory purchase.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of property law and conveyancing such as to be able to deal with the full range of local government property law transactions.
- Expert knowledge of compulsory purchase law.
- Expert knowledge of commons and town and village green law.
- Detailed knowledge of highway law.
- Motivation and ability to manage a team of fellow professionals.
- Is a Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives , Licensed Conveyancer or Solicitor.
- Degree or Level 6 qualification in law.